The following recipe come from Chilis and Lime
A spicy fish curry served with plain cooked rice and a green salad.
For 4 people you will need :
- 250g fish fillet or steak preferably tuna, those big steak pieces will do well for 4, or any other kind of firm fish like mackerel) , cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 small onion sliced
- 2 garlic cloves pound or grated
- 4 pods cardamoms, ends snipped
- 1 inch piece cinnamon
- 1 sprig curry leaf
- 1 pandan leaf cut into big pieces (I asked Peanut about this she stated that it is not necessary)
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp turmeric,
- 1 tbsp tomato paste or 1/2 tsp tamarind paste
- 200ml pkt or a can of coconut milk, not coconut cream
2.Switch off heat .Pour 100ml coconut milk into a measuring jug, add 400ml water , stir and pour this into the saucepan and add the rest of the ingredients .
3. Place the pan back over the stove , bring to a boil , then lower heat and simmer and cook till the fish is cooked., give it a stir every now and then.
4. Add 80ml of coconut milk, simmer for about 1 minute, stir , adjust seasoning, and if you think it’s too spicy add about ½ tsp sugar.
Serve with plain cooked rice and green salad
To make a Maldivian green salad, you need 1 small onion, sliced thinly into half moons, put this in a bowl add salt a red chilli ( de seeded if you like) and juice of 1/2 lime juice or lemon juice . using your fingers scrunch up the onions so they start to go soft and release their juice. Add finely sliced greens, it can be any type of lettuce or spinach, mix carefully adjust seasoning, and more lime juice if you want.