The following wonderful and fun recipe comes from Food, Wine and Dine:
Beer Battered HalibutAdapted from Bon Appétit, May 2003
- 1 lb fresh Halibut fillet, skin removed, cut into strips or cubes
- salt and pepper
- fresh lime juice
Simple Beer Batter:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fine kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 cup beer, room temperature
- dash+ of garlic powder
- dash+ of hot paprika (or whatever paprika you have on hand)
- Vegetable oil – 2 inches deep in pan (about 4 cups)
- Salt and pepper Halibut pieces. Squirt with lime juice. Let sit up to 15 minutes.
- Mix together batter in large bowl and add fish pieces to coat.
- Heat oil to 350 degrees. Carefully place 4-5 pieces of fish into the hot oil. Fry for 2-3 minutes.
- Drain on paper towel. If you need to keep warm, place in a 200 degree oven until ready to serve. S&P to taste.
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2-3 quartered dill pickles, chopped
- 1 tsp. fresh chopped parsley
- 1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- pinch of salt
- fresh cracked pepper
Mix all ingredients to taste. Serve or chill.
Beer Battered Halibut Sliders