The following recipe comes from Fresh Local and Best a wonderful New York blog, filled with great food and pictures.
SMOKY SHRIMP AND CHORIZO SOUP
- 2 pounds medium shrimp shelled and deveined, shells reserved
- 2 quarts low-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces dry chorizo, thinly sliced
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, cut into fine matchsticks
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- One 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour mixed with two tablespoons of water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Avocado slices, (optional for garnish)
- In a medium saucepan, simmer the shrimp shells in the chicken broth, covered, for 10 minutes. Strain the broth and discard the shells.
- In a large soup pot, cook the chorizo over moderate heat, stirring occasionally until browned, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to a plate. Add the onion, carrot, garlic, and paprika to the pot and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and cook until the liquid has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Return the chorizo to the pot, add the shrimp broth and bring to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat for 25 minutes.
- Stir the flour mixture, whisk it into the soup and boil for 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the shrimp to the soup and cook just until pink and curled, about 2 minutes. Ladle the soup into bowls and top with the avocado, if using.
Serve with toasted bread or steamed rice.
Smoky Shrimp and Chorizo Soup