The fish from Alaskan Harvest Seafood is line caught and not farm raised, you can buy the best of the native pacific salmon namely King Salmon (also known as Chinook), Silver Salmon (also called Coho) and Sockeye Salmon.
It is very important to choose wild salmon over farmed raised for a number of reasons, here are just a few:
- Farm raised salmon are more prone to having infections and lice due to the cramped conditions they are raised in. These diseases can often spread into the wild population. So by supporting wild salmon fishing this will help protect these precious fish.
- Wild salmon are antibiotic and growth hormone free and all natural they generally have been shown to contain less PCBs(poly chlorinated biphenyls). In fact a study published in May 2005 reported that the levels of chlorinated pesticides, dioxins, PCBs and other contaminants are up to 10 times greater in farm-raised salmon than in wild Pacific salmon. This is largely due to the poor quality fish meal farm raised fish eat.
- Wild Salmon has higher levels of the beneficial omega three fatty acids therefore having a higher health value.
- In blind testing amongst food critics and chefs wild salmon has been shown to taste better
- Wild salmon has a natural color ranging from pink to orange due to eating krill and scrimp. Whereas farmed salmon often has a grey flesh that needs to have artificial dye added to it. In fact when you buy it you will often read the words “color added” on the label.
- The waters the wild Alaskan salmon run in are very clean and low in mercury, therefore wild salmon has been shown to have a lower mercury content. This is an important consideration for pregnant women and children.
- Wild salmon have had a happier and freer life
7 Reasons to Choose Wild Alaskan Salmon