- 1 Tbs butter
- 1/2 onion, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 ounce queso oaxaca or mozzarella
- 1 large handfull cilantro
- 3 Tbs spicy pepitas (see note above)
- 1 Tbs olive oil
- 1 lb salmon, cut into four filets
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the onion and cook until it is softened.
- Meanwhile, bring 5 cups of water to a boil. Add boiling water and bay leaf to the softened onions. Whisk in cornmeal. Lower the heat and allow the mixture to bubble and thicken. Stir constantly, until the mixture is smooth and not gritty (this might take up to 30 minutes). Remove from heat and stir in the cheese.
- Meanwhile, pat the salmon dry and let it rest while you prepare the pesto.
- In a small food processor or mini-chop, combine the sun dried tomatoes, cilantro, and 2 Tbs pepitas. Process until a thick paste is formed. Spread the paste in a thick layer over the skin of the salmon.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan. Add the salmon skin-side down and cook until crisp – about 6 minutes. Turn and cook until pink in the center – another 3-4 minutes.
Spoon the polenta onto 4 plates. Top with salmon and garnish with a sprinkling of the remaining pepitas and some cilantro.
Approx. 374 calories, 17 grams fat, 3 grams fiber, 27 grams protein