• 12 oz King or Dungeness crab meat
• 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 8 to 12 chanterelle mushrooms, wiped clean, trimmed, and thinly sliced
• 3 cups chicken stock, preferably homemade
• 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
• 1 cup Carnaroli or Arborio rice
• Salt and freshly ground black pepper
• 2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
1. Sauté the mushrooms and 2 tablespoons of butter in a skillet over medium-high heat until tender and lightly browned, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and set aside.
2. Add the white wine to the skillet and stir just to draw up any remaining cooking juices and flavors from the mushrooms, then pour the wine into a medium saucepan.
3. Add the chicken stock to the saucepan with the wine and bring just to a boil over medium-high heat. Immediately reduce the heat to low and keep warm.
4. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a medium, heavy saucepan over medium heat, add the onion, and stir until tender and aromatic, about 3 minutes. The onion should soften but not brown.
5. Add the rice and stir gently until it is evenly blended with the onion
6. Scoop about 1 cup of the warm chicken stock into the rice and cook, stirring constantly, until the rice has absorbed most of the liquid, 3 to 5 minutes.
7. Repeat the process once more, adding another cup of liquid. Continue adding the stock, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring the rice constantly until most of the liquid is absorbed before adding the next, until the risotto is thick and creamy and the rice tender but not too soft – there should still be a bit of resistance at the center of each grain. You may not need every drop of the stock; total cooking time will be 30 to 40 minutes.
8. Pick over the crabmeat to remove any bits of shell or cartilage; if using king crab meat, cut the shelled leg portions into 1/4 inch pieces.
9. Add the crab to the risotto along with the sautéed mushrooms and stir just to warm them through.
10. Season the risotto to taste with salt and pepper, spoon it into warmed shallow bowls, and sprinkle the parsley over it. Serve immediately.