The following recipe comes from Cinnamon and Spice and Everything Nice:
Baked Coconut Shrimp: Three Ways
- 1 pound medium or large Shrimp, deviened and tails off
- 1/4 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup shredded Coconut, unsweetened
- 1/3 cup Bread Crumbs or Panko Crumbs
- 2 Eggs
- 2 tablespoons Water
1. Set up a dredging station for the shrimp by adding the flour to a shallow bowl, mix the coconut and bread crumbs together in another shallow bowl, and beat the eggs and water together in another separate, shallow bowl.
2. Grease a large baking sheet. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Dip each shrimp into the flour, then egg and then coat with bread crumbs using your hands if needed to press them onto the shrimp. Designate one hand for dipping in egg and the other for the dry ingredients. Set on baking sheet. Repeat until all the shrimp are coated.
3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes depending on the size of your shrimp until golden brown and shrimp are cooked through. Serve with Avocado Buttermilk dressing for dipping, on tacos or a salad.
- Corn tortillas or small flour tortillas
- Cabbage or Cole Slaw mix
- Avocado Buttermilk Dressing
- Shredded Lettuce
- Diced Tomato
- Lime Wedges for serving
1. About an hour before serving make slaw by mixing 2 cups of cabbage with enough avocado dressing to coat and an additional teaspoon or two of white vinegar. Refrigerate.
2. Place 4 or 5 shrimp, depending on size in heated tortilla with your choice of fixin’s.
Avocado Buttermilk Dressing
- 3/4 cup Milk or Buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon White Vinegar
- 1/2 Lime, juiced
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Cilantro or Parsley, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Sea or Kosher Salt, plus more to taste
1. Combine the milk, vinegar and lime juice and allow to sit for five minutes = homemade buttermilk. If using buttermilk omit this step and do not add vinegar but add lime when processing.
2. In a food processor or blender add the buttermilk, flesh of the avocado, sour cream, cilantro and salt. Process until smooth. Taste and season with more salt if desired and adjust flavor by adding more lime or sour cream. Refrigerate.
Use your favorite salad greens and fixin’s like diced tomato, corn, and sliced red onion. Dress with avocado dressing and top with coconut shrimp.