2 cups water
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup long-grain white rice or 3 cups leftover steamed white rice
6 oz asparagus spears, trimmed (halved lengthwise if quite thick) and cut into 2-inch pieces
1 cup peas (freshly shelled or frozen)
8 oz Alaskan Dungeness crab, picked for shells
2 tablespoons minced basil
2 tablespoons minced flat-leaf (Italian) parsley
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
basil and/or parsley sprigs, for garnish
salt and freshly ground black pepper
1. If starting with uncooked rice, combine the water and salt in a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
2. Stir in the rice, cover the pan, and cook over low heat until the rice is tender and all the water has been absorbed, (18 to 20 minutes).
3. Take the pan from the heat, fluff the rice with a fork, and set aside to cool completely, stirring occasionally.
4. Bring a medium saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil and fill a medium bowl with ice water.
5. Add the asparagus pieces to the boiling water and blanch until bright green and just barely tender, (2 to 3 minutes).
6. Scoop out the asparagus with a slotted spoon and put it in the ice water to cool.
7. Return the water to a boil, add the peas, and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.
8. Drain the peas, add them to the ice water, and let cool completely.
9. Drain the vegetables and scatter them on paper towels to dry.
10.Put the cooled rice in a large bowl. Add the crab to the rice with the asparagus, peas, basil, and parsley.
11.In a small bowl, combine the olive oil and lemon juice with salt and pepper to taste.
12.Whisk to blend, then pour the dressing over the salad, stirring gently to mix evenly.
13.Garnish with the herb sprigs and serve.