As the weather gets warmer, start thinking about spending some more time outside. It’s almost picnic season! Gather a few friends and pack up an elegant lunch to share – think about bringing sturdy fruits, like tart apples and sweet pears; small pieces of dark chocolate, carrot sticks, and something fizzy to drink are all excellent, along with a selection of hard and soft cheeses, a variety of breads or rolls, and a few savory spreads.
This is a simple, healthful, and delicious way to make halibut a portable and elegant addition to any picnic – serve it as sandwiches, or try wrapping it washed butter lettuce leaves for a low-carb alternative. The flavors work beautifully with salmon, as well – try it as a use for leftovers.
You will need:
- 1 lb. halibut steak (about an inch thick)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 cup very finely chopped celery
- 3 scallions, finely chopped – white parts only
- 3 sprigs fresh dill, minced
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
2. In another bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, celery, scallions and dill. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Carefully fold in the halibut until all ingredients are well combined. Taste and adjust the seasonings. Chill before packing it for a picnic.