1 1/2 lbs Alaskan scallops
2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar
1/3 cup sugar
Wooden skewers, soaked in water
1. Combine all of the above listed Tomato Salsa ingredients in a large bowl, season with salt and pepper to taste and set aside.
2. Simmer the 1 1/2 cups balsamic vinegar and the sugar in a small saucepan until reduced by a third. Cool at room temperature.
3. Preheat the grill until very hot. Skewer the scallops so that they are easier to handle on the grill.
4. Brush the scallops with olive oil and season with 2 teaspons salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Grill the scallops for 1 to 2 minutes on each side, or saute the scallops in olive oil.
5. Arrange the scallops on warm plates and drizzle with balsamic glaze. Garnish with tomato salsa.