- 1/2 Kg fish any desired fish
- 2 teaspoon chili powder
- 3 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- tamarind the size of a small lemon, soak in water to get the juice.
- 200 g onion chopped
- 200g tomato chopped
- a few curry leaves if you have it, common in Indian stores
- a few coriander leaves/cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 green chili’s, chopped length wise
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 spoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 spoon fenugreek
- 1/2 spoon fennel seeds
- heat the pan, a wok works well add the oil, then mustard seeds and pop, then fennel seeds and fenugreek.
- then add curry leaves, onions, saute until color is transparent. add tomato saute for 5 minutes until it reduces down to a paste.
- soak enough tamarind in order to get 3-4 cups of tamarind juice, then add to the pan.
- then add all the above spices to the pan, simmer for 15 minutes, to make a good gravy.
- then add the fish and salt, cover and simmer for another 10 minutes until the fish is cooked, turn the fish as cooking being careful not to break the fish.
- if desired you can add coconut to the curry at this stage
- garnish with fresh cilantro
Best eaten eaten with rice, idly or dosa.
South Indian Fish Curry