Ah, Superbowl parties. One of America’s most time-honored excuses to eat a variety of things either creamy, spicy, mushy, or prepackaged, scooped up in loving heaps and mouthfuls by edible spoon-like shapes. Headed to a party and want to bring more than the requisite half-case of beer? This dip is quick and easy, and knocks the socks off anything you’ll find at the store.
You will need:
- 1 brick cream cheese
- 1 small container sour cream
- 1-2 cans baby clams (in juice);
- 3-4 cloves fresh garlic
- zest and juice of one lemon
- Worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- optional: chili powder, chipotle powder, cajun seasoning
1. Unwrap the cream cheese and drop it into a bowl. If you have a microwave, it’s a good idea to zap it for a few seconds to soften it up. Scoop out the sour cream and cream the two together with a fork until the consistency is even.
2. Using a garlic press, crush the garlic into the creamy mixture, making sure to get all the juice and to add the pulp from the press. Mix well.
3. Add the clams and some of the clam juice, Worcestershire sauce, lemon zest, some of the lemon juice, salt, pepper, and a few shakes of Tabasco. Mix until it reaches the desired consistency; if you need more liquid, add either clam juice or lemon juice as suits your tastes.
4. You can really kick up the spice by adding chili or chipotle powder or cajun seasoning, but it tastes great on its own, too. Serve with potato chips.