- 62% of America’s seafood comes from Alaska.
- A staggering 96% of the wild salmon caught comes from Alaska.
- Alaska is the Worlds number 9 seafood producer.
- Alaska’s seafood sustainability program is the envy of the World.
- Salmon harvest in 2009 was the 11th best since statehood.
- However Salmon numbers in the Yukon river are down, prompting increased budget for research into the reason why.
- The global recession decreased the price of fish.
- Halibut numbers are down and catch limits were decreased.
- Alaska has a wonderful net recycling program, yet another green idea.
- Fishing is still one of the countries dangerous jobs, 26% higher than other US workers.
- Alaska is no allowing fishing in the Arctic region until more research is carried out to ensure sustainability.
A Look Back at Alaska’s 2009 Fishing Year