There’s nothing quite like mahi mahi for grilling: the flavor and texture are robust enough to stand up to bold marinades, but delicate enough to stay sweet and tender. With warmer weather on its way, it’s time to start thinking about barbecuing again! This can be prepared in minutes, and then set aside in the fridge for an hour or more while you throw together a salad and steam some rice; if you’re using a charcoal grill, the marinating time is the perfect amount for you to fire up the flames and let them settle to coals.
You will need:
- 2 pounds mahi mahi, steaked
- 2/3 cup shoyu
- 1/4 cup dry sherry
- 2-4 cloves garlic, peeled, smashed, and finely chopped
- 2 T minced fresh ginger
- 1/4 thinly sliced green onion
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp grated lemon zest
- 2 T olive oil
2. Combine the remaining ingredients in a bowl, and then pour the mixture over the fish. Making sure the steaks are well-coated on all sides, cover the dish and let it marinate in the refrigerator for an hour or more.
3. Place the fillets on an oiled grill and cook for 3 to 4 minutes per side, turning pieces one and basting frequently with the marinade. Serve immediately.